I love this rice because it is so easy and versatile and you can do so many things with leftovers! Here are a few suggestions:
- Eat it “as is” for a main course
- Add stewed tomatoes and tomato sauce for a hearty soup
- Add guacamole and salsa and wrap it in a burrito
- Add some vegan cheese and make a quesadilla (See KAMAAL’S CHICK’N QUESADILLAS)
PREPARATION TIME: 5 MINUTES (if your rice is already cooked)
COOKING TIME: 8 MINUTES
YIELD: 4 - 6 SERVINGS
4 pieces Gardein™ chick’n “breasts” chopped into bite-sized pieces, or 2 cups chopped vegan chick’n of your choice
½ sweet onion, chopped
1 - 2 tablespoons Mexican Seasoning
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 cup cooked black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups cooked rice (brown or white)
4 tablespoons sweet corn chili (optional - Trader Joe’s®makes a good one)
oil for sautéing
- In a large skillet, heat oil and sauté Gardein™ (or vegan chick’n), onion, 1 tablespoon of the Mexican Seasoning and cumin until the onion is translucent and the chick’n is slightly browned.
- Add the beans, rice, and sweet corn chili and continue to cook until the rice is a little bit crispy.
- Add more Mexican Seasoning and cumin to taste if necessary, and stir to blend flavors. It is now ready to serve!
For more recipes, and a Meatless Monday 52 Week Meal Planning Guide, check out our book, The Vegan System, with over 100 vegan recipes in 215 full color pages. Available in paperback and Kindle on Amazon.com or in PDF to download. Visit TheVeganSystem.com for details. Also available on our website is a FREE 7 Day Vegetarian Starter Kit and Vegan Product Guide (with over 150 vegan products).