Lasagna with Meaty Sauce is another family favorite! So easy to make and goes great with a big salad and garlic bread.
Preparation and Assembly Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 6 - 8 servings
½ onion, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
2 tablespoons Italian Seasoning
1 teaspoon minced garlic
16 oz. (2 jars) sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil
1 tube or 14 oz. tomato paste
½ cup water (optional)
1 package (10 – 14 oz.) vegan meatballs - thaw if frozen (Gardein Meatless Meatballs, Nate's™ Zesty Italian Meatless Meatballs or Gimme Lean® Sausage are great options)
16 oz. vegan Ricotta Cheese (we recommend Tofutti® Better Than Ricotta Cheese)
1 (8 oz.) box oven ready (no cook) lasagna noodles
1 (8 oz.) package Daiya Mozzarella Style Shreds, or vegan cheese of your choice
1 (8 oz.) packages Daiya Cheddar Style Shreds, or vegan cheese of your choice
Oil for sautéing
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare the sauce as follows: Sauté onion (use about ½ of it) and celery with Italian Seasoning (about 1 tablespoon) and minced garlic (to taste) until the onion softens. In a food processor, blend the sun-dried tomatoes (with the oil they were packed in) and tomato paste. Add a small amount of water if necessary so that the sauce is thick but not a paste. Add the sautéed onion and celery and blend for a few seconds. Set sauce aside.
- Sauté vegan meatballs on high heat with the rest of the onion, minced garlic and 1 tablespoon of Italian Seasoning. Use a spatula to crumble and separate/mince the meatballs until fine. Sauté a few minutes until brown. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the Mozzarella and Cheddar style Daiya (vegan cheese) shreds.
- Layer the lasagna as follows and repeat once:
- Sauce (enough to cover bottom of pan)
- Noodles (as many will fit in pan)
- Vegan Cheese
Repeat this process. To end, add noodles, a little sauce and a good amount of vegan cheese.
6. Cover and bake for 35 - 40 minutes (+/-) at 375 degrees, then remove foil and broil on low until Daiya becomes crispy (about 5 minutes).
Makes 6 - 8 servings. Can be refrigerated or frozen for later.
For more recipes, and a Meatless Monday 52 Week Meal Planning Guide, check out our book, The Vegan System, with over 100 vegan recipes in 215 full color pages. Available in paperback and Kindle on Amazon.com or in PDF to download. Visit TheVeganSystem.com for details. Also available on our website is a FREE 7 Day Vegetarian Starter Kit and Vegan Product Guide (with over 150 vegan products).