One day while visiting Londale Jr. in college, in Las Cruces, New Mexico, Kamaal and I had an uncontrollable craving for Mexican food (it’s EVERYWHERE in Las Cruces!) Because we knew we would not be able to find a restaurant that had vegan cheese, we decided to go for it ourselves. Kamaal came up with this super simple recipe that is outstanding and easy enough for your kids to make. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Preparation and Assembly Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 6 Quesadillas
6 Gardein™ Chick’n “breasts” (15 oz.), chopped fine
Mexican Seasoning to taste
½ small onion - chopped
1 cup chopped mushrooms
1 cup spinach or kale
½ cup fresh cilantro
6 large flour tortillas
4 oz. (½ package) Daiya Mozzarella Shreds
4 oz. (½ package) Daiya Cheddar Shreds
Oil for sautéing
Earth Balance® Whipped Buttery Spread for grilling
1. In a large skillet, add oil (just enough for a sauté) and heat to medium high. Add the onions, finely chopped Gardein™, and Mexican Seasoning (start with 1 teaspoon of the Mexican Seasoning, but be sure to check the flavor since depending upon which brand you use, the intensity of the flavor varies). Add the mushrooms and spinach (or kale) and continue to sauté until the Gardein™ is slightly browned and the mushrooms are soft. Taste, and then add more Mexican Seasoning if necessary. The mixture should be very flavorful slightly spicy. Remove the mixture and set aside.
2. Combine the Daiya Mozzarella and Cheddar Shreds in a bowl and set aside.
3. Take one flour tortilla and spoon some Daiya shreds onto one half of it. On top of the Daiya, add a couple spoonfuls of the Gardein™ mixture (you will be making 6 tortillas so divide it up appropriately). Add a little fresh cilantro, top with more Daiya, and then fold the tortilla over.
4. Add a little Earth Balance Buttery Spread to the skillet and heat to medium high. Place the tortilla in the skillet and press down firmly with a spatula or something flat and heavy, such as a plate or a small pan. The goal is to cook the tortilla until it is slightly crispy and the Shreds melted. Flip and repeat on the other side.
5. Repeat this process for the remaining five tortillas. Garnish with vegan sour cream, salsa, guacamole, lime, pico de gallo, or any of your favorite South of the Border condiments.
Make 6 quesadillas.
For more recipes, and a Meatless Monday 52 Week Meal Planning Guide, check out our book, The Vegan System, with over 100 vegan recipes in 215 full color pages. Available in paperback and Kindle on Amazon.com or in PDF to download. Visit TheVeganSystem.com for details. Also available on our website is a FREE 7 Day Vegetarian Starter Kit and Vegan Product Guide (with over 150 vegan products).