Club sandwiches were one of my favorites when I was growing up. This vegan version is outstanding! Be sure to make modifications as desired to "make it your own!"
Preparation and Assembly Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 4 sandwiches
2 packages Tofurky®, Hickory Smoked flavor (approx. 30 slices)
8 slices bread, lightly toasted
½ cup Maca Mayo with Hummus and Sun-dried Tomatoes (see recipe below)
1 tablespoon creole seasoning (or combination of paprika, salt, pepper, and cumin to taste)
4 large slices Tempeh
8 slices veggie bacon (optional)
4 large leaves of romaine lettuce, cut in half across the length
½ large tomato, sliced
½ red onion, thinly sliced
1 large avocado, sliced
Oil for sautéing
Maca Mayo with Hummus and Sun-dried Tomatoes
1 cup Vegenaise® Dressing and Sandwich Spread
½ cup hummus
2 tablespoons sundried tomatoes (in oil)
2 tablespoons Maca powder
1 teaspoon Sweet Basil Pesto Mix (we recommend Simply Organic®)
Mix all ingredients in a blender until creamy. Use as a sandwich or wrap spread, or as a dip for fresh vegetables and chips!
1. Make the “Maca Mayo with Hummus and sun-dried tomatoes” as directed and set aside.
2. Sauté the Tofurky® slices in a small amount of oil to soften and moisten them. DO NOT OVERCOOK! Set aside in a covered bowl to keep them warm and moist.
3. In the same skillet, sauté the tempeh with the creole seasoning until is it brown and crispy on each side. Remove from skillet and set aside.
4. (Optional) – sauté the veggie bacon slices until they are crispy. Set aside.
5. Spread the Maca Mayo on the inside top and bottom slices of toasted bread, then layer the sandwich (bottom to top) as follows:
Romaine Lettuce – 2 halves
Tofurky slices (about 6 – 7) folded and arranged overlapping
6. Assemble and then cut in half.
Makes 4 sandwiches.
For more recipes, and a Meatless Monday 52 Week Meal Planning Guide, check out our book, The Vegan System, with over 100 vegan recipes in 215 full color pages. Available in paperback and Kindle on Amazon.com or in PDF to download. Visit TheVeganSystem.com for details. Also available on our website is a FREE 7 Day Vegetarian Starter Kit and Vegan Product Guide (with over 150 vegan products).