This is a really good sandwich that we make from from TWO new products that we discovered last year. The first product is the Chao cheese slices by Field Roast® that have, deservedly, been blowing up social media for some time. THEY ARE DELICIOUS - and the texture is perfect - even after melting! Firm and just the right amount of "gooeyness."
The next product is - VEGAN SOFT PRETZEL BREAD BURGER BUNS. - I LOVE soft pretzels but since vegan ones are hard to find I haven't had one in ages. This vegan pretzel bread by Pretzilla comes in different sizes (we used the burger bun size for this recipe) and can be found at stores throughout the US - we got ours at Whole Foods. What I like most about this bun is that it is soft yet firm so it's perfect for burgers and sandwiches and it doesn't get soggy even after loading up with condiments. It is definitely our bun of choice!
Preparation and Assembly Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 sandwiches
1 package Gimme Lean® - Sausage Style
8 oz firm tofu, cut into 8 thick slices
½ onion, thinly sliced
4 Pretzilla Soft pretzel Burger buns, sliced in half
½ large tomato, thinly sliced
4 slices Field Roast® Chao cheese - Tomato Cayenne flavor
Oil for sautéing
- Form the Gimme Lean® into 4 patties and sauté them in a small amount of oil, flipping once, until crispy on both sides. Set aside.
- Sauté the tofu blocks in oil until they are firm and crispy on both sides as well. Season with Spike® and pepper while cooking. Set aside.
- Sauté the onion for a few minutes until just softened. Set aside.
- Layer the sandwiches as follows:
- Tofu slices (top with a bit of ketchup)
- Gimme Lean®
- Tomato slices
- Chao Cheese
- Place sandwiches, open faced, on a cookie sheet. Add ketchup to the top bun. Oven broil on high for a few minutes until the cheese is melted.
Remove sandwiches and let cool slightly. Cut in half and enjoy!