The Reuben was one of my favorite sandwiches growing up. I was so excited to create this vegan version! Great for travel and they keep for days in the fridge as well. Hope you enjoy this dish as much as we do!
Preparation and Assembly Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 sandwiches
4 tablespoons Vegenaise® Original Spread
2 tablespoons ketchup
2 teaspoon sweet relish
1 cup sauerkraut, liquid drained
3 packages Tofurky® Hickory Smoked Deli Slices (use about 36 slices)
1 package Daiya Mozarella Shreds
8 slices of sourdough bread
Generous amount of Earth Balance® Whipped Buttery Spread to grill sandwiches
Oil for sautéing
1. Mix the Vegenaise®, ketchup and relish in a small bowl. Spread the mixture on top and bottom of each slice of bread.
2. Spread the Daiya Shreds on the top and bottom of each slice of bread.
3. Sauté the Tofurky® deli slices in enough oil to coat the bottom of the skillet. Sauté no more than 15 slices at a time and set aside.
4. Arrange 9 Tofurky® deli slices, folded and overlapping, on the bottom piece of bread. Top with a spoonful of sauerkraut.
5. Heat a generous amount (about 1-2 tablespoons) of the Earth Balance® Buttery Spread in a skillet. When hot, place a sandwich in the skillet and press down with a plate or pan (as if you are making grilled cheese). Grill each side of the sandwich on medium heat for several minutes until the bread is golden and crispy. You may also use a sandwich grill instead if you have one.
6. Remove the sandwiches and let cool. Slice in half and enjoy!
Makes 4 sandwiches.
For more recipes, and a Meatless Monday 52 Week Meal Planning Guide, check out our book, The Vegan System, with over 100 vegan recipes in 215 full color pages. Available in paperback and Kindle on Amazon.com or in PDF to download. Visit TheVeganSystem.com for details. Also available on our website is a FREE 7 Day Vegetarian Starter Kit and Vegan Product Guide (with over 150 vegan products).