Penne Pasta with Pesto Sauce and Chick’n is a deceptively easy dish. Everyone thinks it takes so much more effort than it really does!
Preparation and Assembly Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
16 oz. spinach penne pasta, uncooked
5 pieces (about 1 lb.) Gardein™ Chick’n “breasts”, halved and then cut in thirds
½ onion, chopped into large pieces
2 cups mushrooms, sliced
3 ½ cups broccoli florets, blanched
Oil for sautéing
1 serving “Pesto Sauce” (see recipe below)
Handful of pine nuts (optional)
4 cups fresh basil, washed and stems removed
¼ cup Vegenaise® Original Spread
¼ cup olive oil
1 teaspoon garlic, crushed
½ teaspoon salt
Blend all ingredients in a blender or food processor until creamy. Makes ¾ cups.
1. Cook penne pasta according to package directions. After cooking, rinse pasta and set aside.
2. In a large skillet, put a little cooking oil along with the Gardein™ and chopped onion and sauté on high heat until the Gardein™ becomes slightly crispy.
3. Add mushrooms and continue to sauté for about 1 minute.
4. Add pasta and blanched broccoli florets and continue to sauté for additional minute.
5. Remove from heat. Stir in pesto sauce and mix in pine nuts.
Makes 6 servings.
For more recipes, and a Meatless Monday 52 Week Meal Planning Guide, check out our book, The Vegan System, with over 100 vegan recipes in 215 full color pages. Available in paperback and Kindle on Amazon.com or in PDF to download. Visit TheVeganSystem.com for details. Also available on our website is a FREE 7 Day Vegetarian Starter Kit and Vegan Product Guide (with over 150 vegan products).