This Macaroni and Cheese recipe is "Southern Style" because I took my Mom's recipe and converted it into a vegan option. It's so thick and rich - just like she used to make! A favorite for Thanksgiving and with Fried Chick'n and BBQ Seitan.
Preparation and Assembly Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 - 35 minutes
Yield: one 13x9" pan
1 1/2 cups uncooked small elbow macaroni
2 tablespoons (rounded) Earth Balance ® Buttery Spread
10 oz. extra firm tofu (Wildwood®SprouTofu® Super Firm if available)
2 cooked Field Roast burgers (optional)
1 cup unsweetened soy milk
1 ½ teaspoons Spike®
1 teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon sea salt
¼ cup Nutritional Yeast (we use Red Star® brand)
1 tablespoon Ener-G® Egg Replacer
8 oz. Daiya® mozzarella shreds (1 package)
12 oz. Daiya® cheddar shreds (1 ½ packages)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook the macaroni noodles according to package instructions. When done, rinse and drain the noodles and put in a large mixing bowl. Add the Earth Balance® Buttery Spread and toss until the noodles are coated and the Earth Balance® is melted.
- Squeeze excess water from the tofu, then crumble it (with your hands) and toss it with the noodles.
- In a separate small mixing bowl, combine the soy milk, Spike®, pepper, sea salt, nutritional yeast and the egg replacer. Stir until the ingredients are well mixed and then add to the noodles and mix thoroughly. Crumble and add the burgers if you're using them.
- Mix 1 package of mozzarella and 1 package of cheddar Daiya® shreds with the noodles. Pour the noodle mixture into the baking pan.
- Cover the noodles with the half package of cheddar Daiya® .
- Bake, covered with foil, for 30 minutes. Then broil on low for a few minutes until the top layer of cheddar is slightly crispy.
For more recipes, and a Meatless Monday 52 Week Meal Planning Guide, check out our book, The Vegan System, with over 100 vegan recipes in 215 full color pages. Available in paperback and Kindle on Amazon.com or in PDF to download. Visit TheVeganSystem.com for details. Also available on our website is a FREE 7 Day Vegetarian Starter Kit and Vegan Product Guide (with over 150 vegan products).