For this week's Meatless Mondays post I wanted to make something simple with easy to find ingredients - all from Trader Joe's. On a recent trip to New York, I stopped by a TJ's with my friend and noticed they had the exact same products that were offered in my local California store. Since we travel a lot it was good to see that even while on the road I could whip up one of our vegan meals from ingredients I'm used to.
One of my TJ's favorites is the "Vegetable Masala Burger." Don't let the name fool you - it's nothing like a burger - think of it more like an "Indian potato pancake." We love this "burger" because it is ready in just 10 minutes and needs no additional seasoning. We have them as a side dish or put them in wraps for a little variety. You can find them in the freezer section of the store - be sure to check them out!
This recipe also includes a staple in our household - yams! My son loves them - especially when he's working out a lot.
Preparation and Assembly Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 6 flatbread sandwiches
2 small yams, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 package Trader Joes's® Vegetable Masala Burgers (4 burgers)
2 packages Trader Joe's® Chicken-less Strips
½ large onion, chopped
1 jar Trader Joe's® Curry Simmer sauce
1 can (15 oz) garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons Trader Joe's® Corn and Chili Tomato-Less Salsa (optional)
1 package Trader Joe's® Middle Eastern Flatbread
1 cup cooked brown rice (optional)
Oil for sautéing
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wash and cut yams. Toss with a bit of olive oil and put on a non-stick pan or lined with aluminum foil and lightly greased. Bake for 33 minutes.
- While the yams are in the oven, cook the Vegetable Masala Burgers according to package directions and set aside. (We sauté for about 10 minutes, flipping once)
- Chop the Chicken-less Strips and onion. Sauté with a bit of oil and a couple tablespoons of the Curry Simmer Sauce. When the Chicken-less pieces are a bit crispy, add the garbanzo beans and continue to cook for about 2 minutes, adding a bit more Curry Simmer Sauce. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the cooked Vegetable Masala Burgers to the chick'n/garbanzo bean mixture. Cut the burgers up a little so that they are in large chunks.
- Add the cooked yams to the mix and combine.
- Add the Corn and Chili Salsa (optional). Spread the mixture on the flatbread, or serve over a bowl of cooked rice. Top with more Curry Simmer sauce if desired.
For more recipes, and a Meatless Monday 52 Week Meal Planning Guide, check out our book, The Vegan System, with over 100 vegan recipes in 215 full color pages. Available in paperback and Kindle on Amazon.com or in PDF to download. Visit TheVeganSystem.com for details. Also available on our website is a FREE 7 Day Vegetarian Starter Kit and Vegan Product Guide (with over 150 vegan products).