This is another easy, super delicious dish that you can make in less than 30 minutes, using easy to find ingredients. These enchiladas feature Daiya® vegan cheese and are mild and creamy. You can also use spinach and mushrooms instead of vegan chicken for another variation!
Preparation and Assembly Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 – 20 minutes
Yield: one dozen enchiladas
6 Gardein™ Chick’n “breasts” (approx. 20oz., finely chopped or shredded), or the vegan chick'n of your choice (Trader Joe's Chicken-less Strips, 2 packages - are the ones used in the video)
½ sweet onion, diced
1 tablespoon Mexican Seasoning
1 ½ cup rice, cooked (optional)
¾ cup (half the jar) Trader Joe’s Corn Chile Salsa
1 (8 oz.) package Daiya Mozzarella Shreds
½ (4 oz.) package Daiya Cheddar Shreds
1 dozen corn tortillas, or 6 large flour tortillas
2 (12 oz.) jars Trader Joe’s Salsa Verde or 24 oz Green Enchilada Sauce of your choice
Oil for sautéing
13" x 9" baking dish
- Pre-heat oven to 375°. In a large skillet, heat a little oil and sauté the Gardein™, diced onion and Mexican Seasoning. Cook until the Gardein™ is a little crispy. Mix in the rice and Corn Chile Salsa. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat a small amount of oil and lightly sauté one tortilla for a few seconds, flipping it once. This is just to moisten and soften it up.
- Remove the tortilla from the pan and put several large spoonfuls of the Gardein™ and rice mixture in the center of it, spreading it out so that it is a line down the center. Put one tablespoon of Daiya Mozzarella Shreds on top of the mixture, and roll the tortilla tightly, then place it in the baking dish. Repeat this process for the remaining tortillas
- When all tortillas have been placed into the baking dish, pour the green salsa (or enchilada sauce) over them, until the tortillas are saturated. Sprinkle the remaining Daiya Mozzarella and Daiya Cheddar Cheese flavors on top.
- Bake, uncovered for 15 minutes, or until the Daiya is thoroughly melted. Remove from oven and let cool. Garnish with guacamole and vegan sour cream if desired, or just eat as is.
Makes one dozen enchiladas.
For more recipes, and a Meatless Monday 52 Week Meal Planning Guide, check out our book, The Vegan System, with over 100 vegan recipes in 215 full color pages. Available in paperback and Kindle on Amazon.com or in PDF to download. Visit TheVeganSystem.com for details.