I love Italian food so when I find new vegan options on the market I can't wait to explore. This week Kamaal and I tried Vegan Ravioli by Candle Cafe Foods. We topped it off with some Gardein Meatless Meatballs and a litte Daiya cheese. So easy and very filling!
Preparation and Assembly Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 - 6 Servings
1 package Candle Cafe Vegan Ravioli (we used organic Portobello flavor)
½ chopped onion
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped or 1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 cup chopped mushrooms
1 cup chopped broccoli (optional)
12 oz. tomato paste
2 cups diced tomatoes (canned or fresh)
1 cup water
3 tablespoons Italian Seasoning
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground savory (optional)
1 package Gardein meatless meatballs (or the meatless meatballs of your choice)
1 package Daiya cheese - mozzarella style shreds
Oil for cooking
1. Cook the ravioli according to package instructions and set aside.
2. In a large skillet, add enough oil to cover bottom of pan and turn heat to medium high. Add onion, celery, garlic, mushrooms, broccoli and 1 tablespoon of Italian Seasoning. Sauté until vegetables are soft.
2. Add the tomato paste, diced tomatoes,water, the remainder of the Italian Seasoning, salt and savory. Mix together and let simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes. Be careful not to let the sauce stick to the bottom of the skillet. If the sauce appears too thick, add more water.
3. Add the meatless meatballs. If they are frozen, let the sauce continue to simmer, covered, until the meatballs have thawed.
4. Add the cooked ravioli to the vegetables and meatballs. Transfer everything to a large (at least 13x9) baking dish. Cover with Daiya cheese and oven broil - high heat - for about 3 minutes or until cheese with melted.
Makes 4 - 6 servings. Great with a big raw chopped salad!