Fried Rice with Tofu and Gimme Lean® was a staple for Kamaal when she was in college - she made it right in her dorm room! She needed a dish that supported her busy schedule which included class, sports and sorority commitments. This recipe strikes a perfect balance, it is as easy to prepare as it is quick. Awesome for breakfast too!
Preparation and Assembly Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 - 20 minutes
Yield: 4 - 6 servings
8 oz. container of extra firm tofu, frozen, thawed, and excess water squeezed out (see “The Trick to Tofu”), or you can use extra firm tofu that has not been frozen first if you need to.
½ (14 oz.) tube Gimme Lean® Sausage Style (7 oz total)
½ chopped onion
1 cup mushrooms, sliced (optional)
Bragg’s® Liquid Aminos
1 ½ teaspoon Spike® Seasoning
4 cups cooked rice
Dash of pepper
Oil for sautéing
1. Make sure excess water is squeezed out of the tofu completely. Cut tofu block into small squares, or you can crumble the tofu. Set aside.
2. Cut Gimme Lean® Sausage into eight slices, and then cut each of those slices in quarters so that they are slightly larger than bite-sized. Set aside. Chop onion, slice mushrooms and set aside.
3. Heat oil (high heat) in large iron skillet or frying pan. Use just enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan so the tofu won’t stick. Place each slice of tofu in the skillet. Spray with Liquid Aminos so that the tofu is lightly covered. Sprinkle ½ teaspoon of Spike® on top of the tofu and cook until the tofu is slightly crispy and brown on the bottom.
4. With a spatula, flip the tofu and cook until the other side is crispy and brown. Add a little more oil if the tofu is sticking. When done, remove tofu and set aside in a large bowl.
5. Add a little more oil to the skillet and cook the Gimme Lean® slices until they are brown and slightly crispy on each side (about 2-3 minutes total cooking time). You do not need to add spices since the Gimme Lean® is already seasoned. When done, add to cooked tofu.
6. Add a little more oil to the skillet and then add the onion and mushrooms. Sauté the onions until they are clear and slightly brown. Add the rice to the onions and continue to cook, stirring constantly. Add 1 teaspoon Spike® and a dash of pepper to taste.
7. Continue cooking and stirring to blend the flavors. Add the tofu and Gimme Lean® and toss with the rice, onion and mushroom mixture. If desired, add more Spike® and pepper.
Makes 4 – 6 servings.